Thursday, August 23, 2012

OZ Rims!

While my bodywork was being repaired towards the end of July, I came across a smokin' deal on Kijiji for a set of OZ forged aluminum rims.

Now, anyone whos owned a ZX7 will tell you that the wheels are heavy enough to hold down battlecruisers so a set of nice light-weight wheels are just the ticket for making the bike a little more nimble.

Wheels came with Michelin Power Pure 2CT tires ...

... Braking rotors front and back ...

... and two Sunstar sprockets (I think they're Sunstar, maybe JT)


Upon picking up the wheels I notice that while the front wheel is noticably lighter than the stock ZX7 item, the rear wheel still feels quite heavy. Maybe my arms just arn't sensitive enough to the weight difference. Anyways I'll know for sure when I take my wheels off for the swap.

Before I can even put the wheels on, I have to make some wheel spacers. You see, these wheels were originally intended for use on a 3rd Generation ZX10.

The front wheel is relatively easy to fit since the ZX10 and ZX7 have the same caliper spacing and same axle diameter. If it wasn't for the analog speed sensor on the left of the front wheel, the ZX10 wheel would bolt right in.

Mock fitting the front wheel.

Wheels need to be... greener

The rear wheel is a little more difficult. For starters, the ZX7 uses a 25mm axle while the ZX10 uses a 20mm axle. Additionly the sprocket-disc distance for the ZX10 and ZX7 are different which means if one lines up the other doesn't. I'll leave the rear wheel for last.

Time to start making some wheel spacers for the front!

Turning out the inner diameter

Turning out the outter diameter

Several hours later, we have a wheel spacer! :)

Perfect fit!

Here's a comparison of  my spacer to the original


Prior to this, I've never worked with a lathe before (or any machining equipment for that matter) so the finish is a little rougher than I'd like. More passes in smaller increments is, as I have found out, the key to a nice finish. Another thing I learned is that working on a small lathe is a PAIN IN THE ASS. What takes larger lathes a few mins to do on youtube, takes me a whole freaking day! Suddenly I have a new found appreciation for hand crafted components like those found on GP bikes.

No comments:

Post a Comment