Tuesday, August 21, 2012

I Hate Tipping

So I rode my bike for a few hundred kms after installing the chain and it felt great. First gear didn't require nearly as much clutch slipping to get moving which was the main obstacle to a streetable ride.

In addition to the gearing I changed my fork oil which probably hasn't been touched since 1996 and reshimmed my valves.

Old fork oil

New fork oil... or what fork oil SHOULD look like

Shimming valves probably has the highest ratio of "looks difficult":"simple as dirt" out of all the regular maintenance jobs on a bike

Cams n' buckets


After all that work, I couldn't be happier with the way the bike rode. Then I come out of the office the next day to find by bike lying on the ground! I immediately ran outside to pick it up so I don't have any pictures of it lying on its side but you can see the extent of the damage.

Shiiiiiii ...

... iiiiiiiiiiii ...

... iiiiiiiiiiii ...

... iiiiiiiiiiiiiii ...

... iiiiiii ...

... iiiiiiit!!!!!!


In case you can't tell from the pictures the bike's kickstand sunk into the asphalt far enough for the bike to plummet to its side. Now fast forward a few weeks and...

We're green again!!!!


In addition to paint, I also splurged on a set of new OEM ZX9 mirrors which I think look pretty cool. The black rims are off my ZX7P8. I'll eventually get something green.

Old paint

No comments:

Post a Comment