Saturday, December 4, 2010

Fun with Carburetors

Nothing like tearing into my bike after a long business trip! I read a forum posting while I was on the road about cleaning carburetors. The posting had several postings hailing Pine Sol as one of the greatest carb cleaners of ALL TIME.


Nasty stuff

Oh look ma, more gunk!


The idea of a cheap, effective, and deliciously scented carb cleaner tickled my fancy. So down I went to Canadian Tire on a mission to buy two bottles of the stuff... but they were on sale so I bought four.

I rummaged through all the crap I've taken off the bike and find the clunky Keihn. DAMN these things are heavy. Starting from the right (while sitting on the bike) I undo the first set of float bowl screws.

So clean you could... put fuel in it

Mostly clean save for some fuel stains


More fuel stains. Think Pine Sol can move this stuff?


Not a terribly relevant picture, but I like the focus of the shot


It was a good thing I bought four bottles of Pine Sol because I had to top it off with a bottle of water to submerge the whole carburetor.

In it goes


As the carbs came apart, I put the various pieces in little cups. Four ups for four carburetors and a fifth cup for misc. parts.

Can't wait to see how they turn out

No comments:

Post a Comment