Friday, October 29, 2010

First Impressions

So JimmyJonh delivered the bike and I've taken it out for three separate rides now (without a license plate, shhhhhhh). Immediately I notice a few things compared to my other ZX7, the ZX7 P8.
  1. The J2 feels smaller and more agile than the P8
  2. The J2 has more torque down low
  3. The throttle response seems to be a tad sharper
So why does this 1992 bike feel objectively better than my 2003? Well to be fair, the J2 has been through several owners and god knows whats been done to it. Off the bat I can see that it's got an after market D&D exhaust which may suggest changes in jetting but I won't know until I rip the carbs out. My P8 on the other hand is completely factory stock.

Of course it's not all rainbows and hop scotch, theres quite a few serious problems with the bike too.
  1. Top of the list: Severe engine knocking. For a high-revving sports bike with 60,000 kms on it I guess this was inevitable. I just hope its something small like valves clicking.
  2. The forks feel completely shot ... like they're dry. Budgeting for a valve kit and rebuild.
  3. Steering bearings are notched which is a common problem with these bikes from what I understand.
  4. Exhaust headers and mid-pipe are quite rusted. They're still solid but a stainless after market kit couldn't hurt
  5. I put new fluids in as soon as I got the bike (oil, gas, brake fluid etc.). The old stuff that came out of the bike was some of the most disgusting substances I've ever been physically exposed to, indicating some level of neglect from the previous owners. Of course this isn't a problem in itself but it's not comforting to say the least
So thats a basic breakdown of the bike's current condition. The next step is to tear it down, clean each piece, fix what needs to be fixed, and slap it back together. A new coat of paint and powder may be in order too depending on how rich I feel.

What?! No pictures?!?! Tyrant!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment